After a short and sweet hiatus, White Oak Pastures didn’t disappoint us with Box 11. With a variety of greens, peppers, herbs, and the added bonus, fruit! – we’re happy campers! I honestly didn’t imagine I’d miss this delivery as much as I did.
Now I’m eager to get back in the kitchen.
So what came in box 11?
- Sweet Potato Greens | Sweet Potato Greens are a common nutritious addition to meals around the world and especially in Africa. Right now, I’m not sure how I’ll be using these. But, I may try them in our smoothies tomorrow morning!
- Muscadines or Scuppernongs | Fresh from Koinonia Farm, North America’s native grape is one of our favorite signs of fall approaching. Our box came with muscadines!
- Okra or Malabar Spinach or Sungold Cherry Tomatoes | We got okra!
- Tomatoes or Eggplant or Dried Beans | Jacobs Cattle beans, to be exact. I’m not too thrilled about shelling, but they’ll sure taste delicious once I do!
- Peppers | Jupiter and Orion Bell peppers, plus Cowhorn and Carmens.
- Mixed Hot Peppers
- Rosemary | I think I’m going to dry mine.
If you are interested in finding and joining a CSA in your area, use LocalHarvest.org! And if you have any questions, please leave comments below and I’ll be happy to answer them – if I can.
Click here to see our previous boxes.
Several of you mentioned that you couldn’t find a CSA in your area, my only suggestion is seeking out a local farmer’s market. It isn’t as convenient as a CSA delivery, but you’ll still have the delicious organic vegetables (+ fruits) and still be supporting the local farmers. You may have more of a selection and variety each week too!
On the menu this week,a veggie pizza jalapeno popper dip – for the Falcons game on Sunday! grilled okra homemade pesto and muscadine grapes for snacking.
Aside from eating healthier, Justin and I have been hitting the gym about two nights a week. Plus, he’s playing football on the church league team and I (may have mentioned before) have joined a Zumba class. Two nights a week, I get my groove on with several friends. And it’s kicking my bum! I’m so, so sore after last nights class.
What’re you doing to live healthy?