How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things! Romans 10:15
This is how Joy Belle (and this mommy) feels about the serial casting! Exhausted and over it all. For the last 12 weeks, we have traveled once (sometimes twice or more) a week to Atlanta for new casts. Considering the doctors originally estimated 6-8 weeks of casts, we are a bit discouraged.
Although we’ve seen tremendous progress, sadly, the end is not in sight. The doctors won’t give us an estimated timeframe. And even though I understand why, it’s extremely frustrating.
Right now the plan is to continue the serial casting (hopefully only a few more weeks!) and then surgery. After the surgery, Joy Belle will wear another set of casts for a month. Then, she will wear shoes with a bar – the Dobbs bar®.
Since Joy Belle seems to be a little Houdini (she’s managed to wiggle out of 4 casts!), the doctors have requested we keep her legs/feet elevated and she not be held by anyone but me or Justin. Below is a photo of Joy Belle following the doctors orders.
What we’ve learned so far…
- Poop on a cast is something to cry about, but isn’t the end of the world.
- Tylenol before a casting helps ease her discomfort.
- Headphones drown out the loud sound from the casting saw.
- Toe jam – again, not the end of the world.
- Stay away from online forums, because every baby is different and so is each case.
- Never ask a parent “what’s wrong with your baby?” because the truth is nothing is wrong with any baby! All babies are a gift from God.
- Averages are just that, an average.
- Patience is a virtue.
- God’s timing is the best timing and He knows best.
All I ask is that you continue to keep me, Justin, and Joy Belle in your prayers. Although the situation could be worse, for us – it’s tough. And we’re all ready to see the light at the end of the tunnel! Please pray specifically that the Lord heals her feet and the progress continues. Please pray for a peace to consume myself and Justin. Pray that Joy Belle is comfortable and continues to be an all-star with this entire process. And that this mommy stays strong and continues to trust the Lord!a Heape of love, Brianne, Justin, and Joy Belle